A different transition meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 15, 2013, at 6:30 p.m. at Sutter Park. This meeting is for parents who currently have a child on an IEP. We will discuss the transition process to kindergarten for those children who may need to continue with an IEP and for those children who may no longer need services. After January 1, 2014, we are expecting there will be a change in the evaluation requirements. Even if you have attended this meeting in the past, you will want to attend this meeting to get this new information if you are considering sending your child with an IEP to Kindergarten in the fall.
You may wonder why we need to start this process so early. I’m sure you have so many things on your “to do list” in December! This gives you an idea of what a big process this is in our school.
· Our parent-teacher conferences will be held the last week in January. Your child’s teacher will want to talk with you about your thoughts for sending your child to kindergarten or keeping him in preschool another year if he is “eligible” to go to kindergarten. Your child is eligible to go to kindergarten if he will turn 5 years old by September 30, 2014. Your child is “required” to go to kindergarten if he will turn 6 years old by September 30, 2014.
· We have a transition plan for our preschoolers with IEPs that consists of contacts with families, evaluations, evaluation team meetings and IEP meetings. With a large number of children transitioning throughout the district, we need to start this process early.
· As a preschool, we need to know how many typically developing peers will be returning so we can make available open spots to prospective preschoolers. Other preschools begin their enrollment process in the late winter and our returning families and prospective preschool families want to make sure they have a spot for their child in a preschool.
· The district needs to know how many kindergarteners we will have so they can prepare for them and have the right number of kindergarten teachers in the right buildings for them.
· We want to make sure we have everything in place for your child to have a successful kindergarten transition.
If you are considering sending your child to kindergarten, we hope to see you at one or both of these meetings, depending upon your child’s needs.
We currently have a short waiting list for our AM session (for children born after May 1, 2009) and do place children throughout the school year. If you are interested, please call to place your child on our waiting list.
6:30 PM - 8:00 PM Planning for Kindergarten Success
6:30 PM - 8:00 PM Kindergarten Transition Process for Preschoolers with an IEP