The Phoenix Middle School is beginning the recruitment process for our 2017-18 7th grade class. This information is being provided by the staff at Phoenix:
IMPORTANT DATES - EVENTS
Information sessions for 6 th grade students:
As in years past, we are scheduling times during the school day with all 6th graders at their neighborhood elementary buildings. These sessions will happen sometime between February 1st and February 24th. Current Phoenix students and staff members visit all 6th grade classes to introduce the program and answer questions the 6th graders might have.
Learning about Phoenix Middle School:
Phoenix is an option for families in Worthington City Schools and we invite all parents of 6th graders to learn about our school to see if it is good fit for their student. Below are HIGHLY recommended opportunities to learn about Phoenix Middle School:
● Dates of parent information meetings (to be held at Phoenix Middle School music room): Tuesday, March 7 ( 6:30 pm) and Wednesday, March 8 (6:30 pm). Attendance is HIGHLY encouraged for those parents whose children want to enter the lottery.
● Open House for prospective families (at Phoenix Middle School): Saturday morning, March 18 (10:00am-12:00 pm); staff, current students, and parents will be available for tours and discussion. This is a great opportunity to tour the building and learn more about Phoenix Middle School.
● Read more on the Phoenix School website
, including a FAQ document there for you to read for more specific information about our program. ***Please note that only current students and families may register for the site. The information you will need as prospective families is available without registering. *** The student application will be accessible website’s homepage. The application will be available online on or after Feb. 1, 2017.
Application, Lottery, and Sibling Information:
● To apply to be a Phoenix 7 th grader for the 2017-18 school year , students must complete the current Phoenix Middle School application (this will be available to complete online after Feb. 1, 2017 at www.phoenixms.org
) and submit it to the website no later than Friday, March 24, 2017, 4:00 pm . Students that have submitted completed applications on time will be entered into a lottery that will be held at the WEC on Monday, April 3, 2017.
● All questions about the lottery process should be referred to Jeanne Prest
, Administrative Assistant to Neil Gupta, Director of Secondary Education; not Phoenix Middle School.
● Students will be drawn from the lottery on April 3, 2017 by quadrant (determined by neighborhood schools). The McCord MS attendance area students (44 students) will be pulled from the lottery from 10:00-10:30am; Kilbourne MS students (20 students) from 10:40-11:00am ; Worthingway MS students (20 students) from 11:10-11:30am. To be eligible, students must be residents in the Worthington Schools when school begins in Fall 2017. Students are NOT required to be present at the lottery on drawing day to be eligible for a spot.
● Due to our lengthy, unique daily schedule, we allow current Phoenix families with a student who is now in the 7th grade (moving to 8th grade in Fall 2016) to have automatic admittance for an incoming 7th grade sibling through the application and lottery process. IMPORTANT: Even if the 6th grader has a sibling who is currently a Phoenix 7th grader, they MUST complete and submit an application. Students without applications WILL NOT be entered in the lottery, regardless of whether their sibling is in the current Phoenix 7th grade class.
● FYI: The children of Phoenix staff can be a part of the new class after an application is submitted. The Phoenix staff’s students do not take any seats away from other students in the lottery.
Two more dates to help with your planning:
After the lottery has been completed and we have our new 7 th grade class for 2016- 2017, we will host the new students here at Phoenix MS for an orientation / open house on the morning of Thursday, May 11. Parents will need to provide transportation to and from Phoenix that morning. Details to follow.
We will also hold a new parent orientation in mid- late May (evening). Details to follow .
We look forward to meeting you and your 6 th grade students during our recruitment process this spring!