TWHS National Honor Society Frequently Asked Questions
Current NHS Members (Inducted in March 2019):
*Do not submit a new application if you are already a member of NHS (inducted last year). All you have to do is earn 20 additional community service hours (since the time of induction last year), by February 1st, and submit them in a google form.
How many hours of service do I need after induction to earn a Gold Cord at graduation?
After being inducted, you will need to complete at least 20 additional hours of service to earn a Gold Cord at graduation.
Where can I submit these hours?
These hours will be submitted in a google form on our classroom page. Seniors that are current NHS members (inducted last year) may submit completed hours at any time. Due date for completed hours is March 1st so that cords can be ordered in time for graduation.
What is National Honor Society?
The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation's premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to recognize those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service, and character. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1921.
What are the requirements to apply?
- You must be a Junior or Senior at TWHS
- You must have a 3.5 unweighted cumulative GPA as of January 31st, 2020
- You must have at least 20 hours of community service completed before applying
- The timeframe for acceptable hours is: any community service hours since the start of your Freshman year.
- Community service is work done by a person or group of people that benefits others. It is often done near the area where you live, so your own community reaps the benefits of your work. You do not get paid to perform community service.
- Community service can help any group of people in need. It can also help animals, such as those at a shelter, and it can be used to improve places, such as a local park, historic building, or scenic area as well.
- You must have 5 teacher/coach recommendation signatures that reflect their opinion of your character and leadership
How and when can I apply to be in NHS?
Applications will be accepted from January 20th-31st. There will be a two-part process for applying:
- Google Form
- The first part is to complete a google form on our classroom page. This form will consist of the basic application. This application will include information like your name, email, and community service hour records. This portion of the application will be submitted via our NHS google classroom page. The form will be available beginning January 20th.
- Teacher/Coach Signatures
- The second part of the application will consist of 5 teacher/coach signatures to fulfill the leadership and character requirements for induction into NHS. These teachers must be willing to attest to your optimism, initiative, positive influence on others, responsibility, and respect. This portion of the application will be submitted in person to Ms. VanFossen in room 122 (place in folder on back of door). You can print this portion of the application off of our Google Classroom page beginning January 20th (code: fgzcxy) or pick it up from the bulletin board across from room 122.
How will I know if I am to be inducted after applying?
After reviewing your application, contacting teachers, and service hour references, if deemed eligible, you will receive a letter in the mail congratulating you on being accepted. Letters are tentatively scheduled to be mailed out during the last week of February 16th.
When is Induction?
Monday, March 2nd, 2020 @ 7:00 pm in the TWHS auditorium